Holiday Lights Safety Tips
Safety Reminders for Decorative Lights
- Inspect light strings - Discard any damaged strings, frayed and cracked cords or broken sockets are leading fire hazards.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for connecting multiple strands - General rule is three strand limit.
- Don’t run cords under rugs, carpeting, or furniture – Traffic can cause damage to cords run under carpets and rugs and can also lead to cords overheating causing fire.
- Insert plugs completely into wall outlet – Partially inserted plugs can heat up causing fire as well as an electrocution risk.
- Don’t attach light strings with nails or staples – These could cause damage to the wire insulation and create a fire hazard, use hangers that are designed and approved for use with light strings.
- Make sure that all cords and light strings are rated for their intended use – For indoor decorating use only indoor lights or indoor/outdoor rated lights. Outdoor only lights tend to be too hot for indoor use.
- Use only cords that are certified by a testing lab (i.e. Underwriters Laboratories, or UL)
Download Decorative Lights Safety (PDF) for more information.