We are currently hiring Student Lifeguards at this time.
If you have any questions about the requirements listed below, or are interested in scheduling an interview, please contact Sean at 608/262-5865 or via email.
We employ Student Lifeguards to work at the Memorial Union swim pier. The lifeguarding season runs from the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. Duties include ensuring the safety of swimmers and pier users and working closely with the UW Lifesaving Station. Shifts are seven days a week from 11:00am to 4:00pm and from 4:00pm to 9:00pm. Guards will work approximately four shifts/week.
The following lists the REQUIREMENTS for working as a Student Lifeguard (there are NO exceptions):
- MUST have CURRENT student status OR be enrolled as a college student in the upcoming fall (does not necessarily need to be enrolled at UW – Madison or a UW Systems school)
- MUST be at least 18 years of age before the first day of employment
- MUST be available to attend two 4-hour lifeguard orientation sessions in May
- MUST be available to work the entire summer
- MUST have CURRENT certifications in the following for the ENTIRE summer:
- First Aid
- CPR (CCR)/AED
- Commitment to work approximately four days/week, including evenings and weekends (four 5-hour shifts)
- Minimum two year commitment (more is preferred)
We do NOT provide refresher lifeguard or CPR (CCR)/AED/First Aid training. Please check with your local community for when these classes will be offered.