RESEARCH LASER SAFETY
UW-Madison Office of Radiation Safety (ORS) works with users of high-powered lasers to ensure that they are used safely. The Laser Safety comprises of the Medical and Research Laser Safety program for UW-Madison and UW-Health. The program is oversight by the Laser Safety Committee (LSC), which includes Campus Laser Safety Officer (LSO), Medical Laser Safety Officer (MLSO), representatives from campus and UW Health who either uses laser and/ or have experience in the area of Laser Safety.
The Medical Laser Safety website is maintained through UW-Health Learning and Development System (LDS). Please contact Yuliya Henes if you need assistance with Medical Laser Safety.
Requirements to Operate a Class 3B or 4 Laser at UW-Madison (below)
Call 911 in all emergencies.
For reporting exposures not resulting in a severe injury
- Stop all work in the lab
- Shut down all lasers in the lab
- Notify your supervisor and ORS immediately
- Fill out the injury reporting forms and submit through your department’s human resources representative; Employees Work Injury and Illness Report, Supervisor and Safety Coordinator Investigation Report for Injury or Illness http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/risk_mgt/wc/wkc-sup.pdf
- Contact UHS to arrange for the medical evaluation.
- ORS will investigate any suspected exposure and prepare the incident report.