Food Safety & Licensing

EH&S promotes food safety and helps prevent foodborne illness related to UW–Madison facilities and campus events through licensing, inspections, complaint investigation assistance, policy, guidance and training.



**All temporary food event permits are suspended and new permits will not be issued until further notice due to COVID-19.**

Read the policy, requirements, and FAQs and submit the application for approvals at least 2 weeks before temporary food event.

Apply for a temporary food event permit here when available.

Event organizers receive an approval email with further instructions.  Event resources include:

Farmer’s markets
Farm animal contact
Toilet requirements

Inspection Reports

Campus food establishment inspection reports are available online.

When reviewing an inspection report, please note current facility state may differ from reported practices from most recent inspection. Violations are identified as being in one of 3 categories of importance:

  • Priority Item: the most critical violation category. These practices are defined by the WI Food Code as: contributes directly to hazards associated with foodborne illness or injury.
  • Priority Foundation Item: a provision in the WI Food Code whose application supports, facilitates, or enables one or more priority items.
  • Core Item: the least critical violation category. These practices usually relate to general sanitation, operational controls, sanitation standard operating procedures (SSOPs), facilities or structures, equipment design, or general maintenance.

Food Service Operator Forms

Frequently Asked Questions

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What is a temporary food stand?

A temporary food stand is a location where food is prepared, handled, and/or sold in conjunction with a special event, sales promotion, festival, or public exhibition.

When should I start planning for my temporary food event?

It is never too soon to start planning for your event. Your application needs to be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to your event. You will need to know the following information to fill out your event application: date(s), location(s), approved food vendor(s)/where you getting your food from, person in charge of the event, and the number of people expected at your event.

Who needs prior authorization to serve or sell food on campus?

Anyone who will serve or sell any type of food on campus needs authorization from EOH and Risk Management. Some food types are exempt, please read the “Temporary Food Service Policy” for more information. If you are not sure if your event requires authorization, please fill out an application on EOH’s website and our staff will get back to you.

Who is required to obtain a temporary food license?

For-profit businesses selling food on campus owned or leased grounds in Dane County are required to obtain a temporary food license from EOH. The cost of a temporary food event license is $170 per fiscal year (July 1st–June 30th). Do you already have a Mobile or Temporary License from the State of Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (DATCP)? Please email EOH a copy of your license(s). EOH accepts licenses granted by DATCP. Food stands that already have a license from DATCP are subject to inspection by University EOH inspectors. Inspection fees may apply.