Spent Fluorescent Tubes
These tubes are universal waste; they must be collected and handled in accordance with procedure listed below.
It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW) to collect and dispose of universal waste according to all local, state and federal regulations.
Collection of Spent Fluorescent Tubes
- Spent fluorescent tubes (tubes/bulbs) must be collected in boxes marked with the label “Universal Waste” and the date.
- Each facility handles their own bulb collection.
- The original container that the tubes/bulbs came in when purchased should be used if possible. Alternate containers must be made out of corrugated cardboard.
- Please contact Physical Plant Customer Service at (608) 263-3333 to schedule a bulb pickup.
- All spills of glass, powder, or any other material related to tubes/bulbs must be immediately cleaned up.
- As soon as a box is full, it must be completely taped shut.
NOTE: Completely taped shut means the following:
All seams and holes in the collection box whether intentionally put there or as part of their original construction (this includes but is not limited to, hand hold end seams) must be taped over; there can be NO HOLES, NO GAPS, NO SEAMS and/or NO CRACKS left in the collection box where powder or broken glass could leak out.