Biosafety Cabinet Replacement Program

The Biosafety Cabinet Replacement Program is a program that started in 2016 to help labs purchase new BSCs at a discount of 60% off the price on a ‘first come-first serve’ basis for BSCs that are 15 years of age or older.

Since the start of the program, the program has replaced 200 BSCs across the UW-Madison campus. With $250,000 of campus funding set aside for the replacement of more BSCs, 25 cabinets have been purchased. UW-Madison has more than 1,800 BSCs and 425 of those were purchased more than 20 years ago. According to NSF/ANSI 49 standards, UW specifications and manufacturer recommendations call for BSC replacement every 15 years.

Contact

Tony McGrath
BSC Certification Program Manager
Tony.McGrath@wisc.edu
Phone: 608-445-5010

Benefits

PI/Researcher/Lab Manager

  • Eliminate risk of older equipment in your facility’s lab.
  • Plan ahead for replacement of BSC instead of waiting until it breaks down. 
  • Take advantage of 60% savings and a six-year warranty on equipment. 
  • New cabinets – ergonomics, LED lighting instead of fluorescent bulbs
  • Energy savings

Finance

  • This supplemental program provides new BSCs at a discount — campus pays 60% of the cost of the equipment, and the PI pays the remaining 40%.
  • Additional departmental costs include decontamination, disposal, delivery, setup, service connections and certification costs.
  • FP&M financial specialists are available to help you with any questions about the process.

Building Manager

  • Eliminate risk of older equipment in your facility’s lab.
  • New equipment uses less energy and requires less lab air conditioning, providing cost savings of tens of thousands of dollars – up to $60,000 over the lifetime of the new BSC!

Need To Know

Additional departmental costs include decontamination, disposal, delivery, setup, service connections and certification costs.

FAQs

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Why do I need to replace my cabinet?

NSF, UW and the manufacture say a BSC’s life expectancy is 15 years. Although most last well beyond that. Manufactures supports their product up to 10 years after last manufacture date with some parts, providing they can still get them from their vendors.

Can I schedule when the replacement takes place?

Yes, you can schedule the decontamination and replacement within a reasonable time frame.

When do I need to pay for the new cabinet?

You will be billed for all work when decontamination, dismantle and replacement is completed.

What happens to the old cabinet?

The old BSC is torn apart and scrapped.

Will the new cabinet be larger/have a different footprint than my existing cabinet?

The new BSC will be the same footprint as the old BSC.

How long will this program last?

The program will last as long as we have BSCs to offer.

How much will my new cabinet cost?

You will get a 60% discount off the list price of the BSC. Decontamination, disposal, delivery, setup, service connections and certification costs will be departmental expenses.

What will the energy savings look like?

Energy Savings will vary by sizes. It could be $2500 – $4,000 a year.