Follow UW–Madison equipment disposition guidelines and receive written approval from property control for all lasers intended for disposal. The guidelines can be found as follows:
Equipment Disposition Guidelines
The UW Property tag should be removed prior to disposal.
- Complete Online Laser Disposal form. Once ORS receives the Laser Disposal form, we will contact you and work together to guide you through disposal process.
- Lasers can be returned to the manufacturer or transferred/donated to another institution. The transfer/donation must be approved by the ORS.
- Lasers can be listed for resale at UW-SWAP (Surplus with a Purpose) auction website. This should be done in coordination with ORS and SWAP. Lasers intended for disposal shall not be moved anywhere from the original location without ORS approval.
- For disposal as Metal Scrap
- Remove any hazardous materials contained in the laser system and properly dispose of them in accordance with appropriate federal, state and local guidelines.
- Remove all means by which the laser can be electrically activated or make it inoperable (remove power cord and switches).
- Receive a clearance sticker from ORS and contact Campus Waste and Recycling group for pick up.